Sunday, April 1, 2012

Asian lounging robes and 1920s fashion


I just came to own these two asian lounging robes on Friday and am smitten with them. I've always thought that it would be neat to slink around the house in a silk dressing gown like a sultry art deco dame.


The pink one is probably from the 1930-40s and features the neatest dragon head embroidery on the back. I have to admit that I have fallen in love with this one and plan on keeping it.


The black one is older, I'm guessing 1910-20s as it is completely hand sewn and the embroidery isn't thread, it's actual metal wire! With all of the intricate flower and dragon designs, all of that hand embroidery must have been quite a feat! I'm not sure of the metal, all I know right now that that it is a silver metal with a patina from age. I need to do more research to pin down the exact age and some how test the metal (wouldn't it be fantastic if it was silver!) before I even think about selling it.


I was also very happy this morning when one of the blogs that I follow announced that they were covering 1920s fashion all week long! The blog is Old Picture of the Day. Each day it features one stunning little glimpse of history in the form of a historical photograph. The picture below is today's 1920s photo. Can you believe what the woman on the right is wearing! A asian robe just like the black one I found! I plan on enjoying the 1920s photos that they post all week and I hope that you do too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...