Saturday, August 18, 2012

Project: DIY draped vest


Whether you are starting to get fall temperatures or not this DIY vest will be perfect for adding an extra layer to adjust to cooling temps. This draped vest is really easy and will layer over anything and stretch your summer wardobe out for longer!

What you will need is:

  • Shawl (I used a 29 x 72 in. pashmina shawl)
  • Sewing machine, thread and scissors

First, measure across your shoulders from end to end. Take your shoulder measurement and center it on the halfway mark of the shawl. Each end of the shoulder measurement will be the center point of an arm hole. Next cut arm holes. I used an 8 in diameter circle for the arm holes. Now simply sew any loose seams in. Your vest should be ready to wear!



3 comments:

  1. I have some doubts... did you use a 8 cm dimeter circle or a circle with 8 cm of radius? And what's the distance from the border od the shawl to the circle? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol, if you read above under the scarf illustration, it says 8 inch diameter (not cm, not radius) circle. Since I did this project in 2012 and it's been a few years, I no longer have it around for exact measurements. But I do remember placing the holes about 1/3 of the way down the scarf, away from the side that would become the collar.

      Delete
  2. I am thinking of making this with recycled denim and adding pockets along the front or in the corners somehow. Concerned about the draping, using denim, though. I love a challenge... but, don't we all? I'll post pics & diagrams of what I end up with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...