Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vintage patterns and a project


Today, I thought I would share one of the things that I collect...vintage patterns! Being a lover of vintage fashion and a diy seamstress, collecting patterns comes naturally. It has enabled me to get the look of certain eras, or styles, when I can't find an original period clothing item in my size. I'm getting to the point where I have a fairly extensive pattern collection ranging from the early 1900s up to modern day. I have eclectic clothing tastes, so my patterns range just as widely!


I keep them all carefully bagged by decade and on display in an open wire basket in my studio. I recently discovered the joys of .pdfs of vintage patterns. There are a few people out there who have taken the time to collect, scan and resize original vintage patterns for modern women. These patterns are the original hard to find patterns, but in modern sizes (people were so tiny back in the day!) and a digital format.

 I've found a few places online to purchase the .pdfs and have started a Pinterest board of my favorite patterns, that I will likely purchase some day. Feel free to take a look at it HERE and even purchase a pattern from one of the sellers. That's what they are there for! Also, if anyone else has a source of great resized vintage patterns please let me know!



Here is my most recent project using a vintage pattern. I just finished this coat by following a late 1930s pattern that I purchased over the summer. It's corduroy and lined in wool. I made it completely reversible, so that I could wear either side out, should I choose. With the short cropped torso length and pixie hood, I think it's adorable and I can't wait to wear it when weather cools down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...