Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY Grunge Plaid Scarf

Today I'm going to share how to make a very easy grunge inspired plaid scarf for the upcoming cool weather. What you will need is:

  • 3-4 old/thrifted plaid flannel shirts
  • Basic sewing supplies (scissors, thread)
  • Sewing machine
  • Silver studs


This scarf is a patchwork of different types of plaids, so the first step is to cut up the flannel shirts. I did this and kept a common width of 18 in. for all patchwork pieces, but each one had a different length, so as to make the most of the shirts. Then I laid the pieces out in a random pattern. You can see the common width, but different lengths in the photograph below.


After making a pleasing arrangement, I sewed the pieces together by simply over lapping the edges of the fabric and using a running stitch.


I didn't worry about raw edges, as raw fraying edges were totally acceptable during the grunge era! After piecing together the entire scarf I cut the the ends for fringe.  I cut 1 in. sections about 12 in. long and tied a know in each one.


For the final step, I added three rows of studs at the ends.


After the studs are in, your scarf is finished! Enjoy!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...