Monday, October 8, 2012

Film: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari


What's October without a horror movie? I decided to kick off this month with a horror movie. Thanks to recent watching of Hugo, which was basically an ode to silent films, I was inspired to watch a silent horror movie. The first one that came to mind is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, since I had never seen it and it was reference many times when I was in art school. It just so happens that the film is now part of the public domain and can be watched about a dozen places in its entirety on the internet. So I watched and loved it! I really enjoyed it for a number of reasons but the Expressionist influenced set designs were amazing! The plot was fantastic and it has a twist ending, which I found out later that it invented the twist ending in films. Very cool! If you would like to watch the film you can find it, and all other public domain silent films, HERE at the Internet Archives. That link if for the full original silent film. And enjoy a few photos from the movie below!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...