Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY Oven mitts


November is always the beginning of the holiday baking season for me. It's not that I don't bake year round, but holiday parties and gift bags mean that I bake more cookies than usual. This year I needed new oven mitts and decided to make my own. So, today I'm going to share with you how I made them.


What you will need is:
  • A pattern (I'll show you how to make one in step 1)
  • fabric (I thrifted a 1950s table cloth and used it for the outside and inside lining. Use two different types of fabric if you want your lining different from your outside.)
  • batting (the stuffing material used in quilts)
  • Double fold bias tape
  • Sewing machine and basic sewing implements


First you will need a pattern. I simply traced my hand and forearm on a piece of paper and then drew the outline of the oven mitt 1.5 in around that. Cut out your pattern.


Use your pattern to cut the fabric and batting. For each glove you will need 2 outside pieces, 2 lining pieces and 2 pieces of batting. Each side of one glove will have a piece of batting sandwiched between the outside fabric and the lining fabric.




Once everything was cut, using a sewing machine, I quilted each side with a simple zig zag to keep the batting and fabric in place. This is shown on the left in the photo above. When both sides are quilted, take your bias fold tape and sew it along what will be the glove opening, shown on the right side above and in detail.



After both sides of the glove are quilted and have bias fold tape, stitch the sides together with the lining side out. I did a running stitch and then followed it with a zig zag stitch to keep the seams from fraying. When that is done, you first glove should be done and ready to turn right side out! Repeat the process for a second glove. Enjoy your new oven mitts!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...