Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY Ombre Bleach Shirt


I know I'm late catching onto the ombre clothing trend, but this week I decided to add an ombre item to my wardrobe. Instead of dying, I opted to bleach out a shirt to create a fading effect. So, today, I'm going to share how I did it. What you will need is a shirt that you would like to use, a hanger, bleach, water and a container or bucket to hole the bleach solution. I used a plaid button down shirt that I found at the thrift store.




The process is really quite simple. In my container I combined a weak bleach solution that was approximately 1 part bleach and 3 parts water. I then took the shirt on the hanger and evenly dipped it in the solution. I made an illustration with soaking times, above, that I used to control the amount of the bleach fade as I went down the shirt. Then after I was happy with the results, I thoroughly rinsed the shirt and washed it, so that the fabric would stop reacting with the bleach. Bleaching times may vary depending on the fabric of the shirt you choose and the strength of the bleach solution. So, have fun trying it out for yourself! Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial. Hope you don't mind if I adapt it with my own photos for a 4-H workshop with credit to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy! Yes, go ahead and have fun!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...