Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Theater Costume Saga, Episode 1


I have some very exciting news! I've been given the opportunity of a lifetime and will be sharing it here on the blog over the next few months. So here's the story. My town's theater troupe is going to be moving into a new building and has to downsize before they do so. I know their costume manager, who let me in on the fact that the group was considering just throwing away all of their old costumes. Oh, that would be a waste, so I convinced them to let me have them. Only they don't just have a few costumes. They have a 1200 sq warehouse crammed floor to ceiling with every costume they've ever used.

This week I got my very first peek into the warehouse and did my first sorting/packing session. I've included photos below so that you can see. There is literally every costume that they have ever used since their inception in the 1950s. As you can see, it really is floor to ceiling racks and piles of clothing. And it's all mine if I want it.

I went in with a crew of friends with the mission of weeding out the non-vintage/damaged garments/ridiculously tacky items and bagging the good vintage. We picked a corner and just started sorting. We were only able to work for two hours due to the heat. It was 100+ outside and probably at least 140 in the warehouse. But what an amazing two hours! We found clothing items that date back to the victorian era. And there are just so many amazing garments! At the end of the day, we had bagged 15 large black bags of good vintage and had weeded out an equal amount of unusable items, all with barely making a dent in the warehouse overall. Luckily, the theater group have a year deadline till their move. So, I have many more trips planned over the next few months as I sort through and acquire as much as possible. Tomorrow, I'll share a few photos of individual garments from the first haul. There is some really gorgeous stuff!!! And I'll periodically be posting more episodes as they happen over the next few months so that you can keep up to date on my awesome but crazy new endeavor!









2 comments:

  1. So jealous! What fun!!! I just found your blog via Livin Vintage sponsor spot light, I look forward to seeing more, very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...