Thursday, December 12, 2013

Old photos of the week: Dinosaurs, you either have them or you don't

I recently made a trip to a town which I like to thrift shop in, that is about an hour away. I visit it every couple of months and for the most part the drive is boring open desert, with just a few ma and pa stores along the way. This week when I made the trip, one of the small curio stores suddenly had dinosaurs, like the 1950s/60s era road side attraction type! So, of course I had to stop and take pictures, which I will post in a few days. When I got home later I researched the history of the dinosaur road side attraction trend and found this photo, below, from the Los Angeles Times.


Claude Bell, a sculptor and owner of a small cafe along I10, was one of the first people to build a dinosaur road side attraction. He started building the brontosaurus here in 1958 as a means to bring more customers in to his cafe. Pretty cool. On the flip side of the coin, this unknown gentleman, below, obviously doesn't have a dinosaur and looks pretty grim about it. The photo below was found on Pinterest. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...