Saturday, March 29, 2014

Ernst Plank's Magic Lantern



Even though I mostly blog about my fabulous vintage finds, I do bring home other fascinating objects from estate sales. My most recent is a complete, early Ernst Plank Magic Lantern set. Magic lanterns were very early image projection devices and you can read more about their history HERE. The early ones used a hurricane lamp inside a projector to broad cast light through a simple lens and a glass picture slide onto a wall. The set that I acquired was most likely meant as a child's toy, as all of the slides are cartoons. It's a neat little thing to play with, even if you are an adult, and can provide a magical evening of entertainment! You can check out my set and how it works below. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...