Monday, January 25, 2016

1940s WWII Souvenir Tiki Sandals Restoration

1940s WWII era souvenir tiki sandals have been on my vintage wishlist since last summer, when I saw a photo online of someone who had perfectly paired them with a summer sundress. Since I have larger feet, it took me awhile to track down a pair in my size. Of course, when I did finally find a pair, they were in a state of disrepair! The straps were busted and what little fabric remained disintegrated as I touched it. The carved wooden heels had many areas of paint missing, but thankfully had no more damage than that. My plan became to salvage the wooden heels and replace the straps using my leather working skills! Read on for the full restoration below!

First, I carefully pulled off the old straps and set them aside for later use. Then I touched up the paint on the heels and gave them a clear coat. I took the old straps and traced them on paper to make a pattern for the new straps. Using my paper patterns, I made new leather pieces and even decided to add some quick tooled leather designs. With the leather dyed, the sandals were ready to reassemble. I attached them to the heels using decorative upholstery nails. And they are done! I was truly amazed at how easy it was. The whole project took only one day, and that was with spending the time to tool and dye leather. Now all I need is some warm summer weather, so that I can wear them! Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Wow...I really enjoy your restoration posts. You are so good at it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...